Friday, September 15, 2006



What a week!

Well, here we are at the end of our first week of VMS training and in much need of some down time which I don't anticipate having much of this weekend at all. We have a test - um, I'm sorry, they call it a reflection - on Monday that we need to study for along with some reading homework. I also have domestic duties that need attending to. The only reason I've been able to go this long without doing laundry is the season change. All of my summer clothes are dirty but it's getting cool enough that I can start wearing long-sleeves. Eventually though everything's going to be dirty and I'm going to be forced to tackle that job. The house really needs to be cleaned too but in my best Scarlett O'Hara impression...Fiddle dee dee, I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Overall, I think training will be good and we'll learn the concepts and skills needed to get God's Word to people and watch Him work to transform lives as only He can. We just have to make sure we keep our eyes on why we're doing this and not get bogged down in terms such as sociolinguistics, azimuth adjustment, diglossia, or in all the many TLA's (Three Letter Acronymns) thrown around. It all comes down to the people who need to be reached and allowing God to use us as He demonstrates His love.

Tonight we had a potluck with all the VMS trainees and staff. At our table were a few veterans who told stories about lives they saw absolutely transformed when they got the Scriptures in their own language. All the lies they believed were replaced with Truth and they were brought out of the darkness into His marvelous light. That's what it's all about and through the fatigue we are grateful for this opportunity from God.


The people who sat in darkness have seen a great Light,
And upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death
Light has dawned.

~Matthew 4:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home