Thursday, August 24, 2006



Training Update

We are officially halfway through our first training class. We’ve been going through Inter-cultural Communications Course and have been learning about world view, partnering with nationals, language learning, spiritual vitality, and interpersonal skills among many other subjects.
The main thing I’ve learned is that no matter how much I prepare or how open and informed I feel, the transition into another country is going to be challenging. Not impossible. Challenging.
As much as I want to help people and love them, I’m still an American and that will affect how I see the world and judge situations. Out of all that’s been thrown at us, that’s probably the most important. No matter how obvious it looks to me, I should take a step back before making assumptions.
If you want to have some fun, google “USA Culture.” There are websites for people moving here from other countries and they help people adjust to us. That's right. They help others adjust to us. Some of the things on there made me ask, “Doesn’t everyone do it that way?” Others made me shake my head at how pathetic we are especially when it comes to how important appearance is for us. Thankfully, many things I read made me laugh until I cried. For example, this is from www.lifeintheusa.com, “Whether business or casual, the clothing should fit well, and be kept clean and neat. That means wearing a shirt, and certainly underwear, for a maximum of one day before throwing it in the wash.” My American mind set wonders who we have to tell these sort of things to.
Because I know we will face uncomfortable situations and maybe some culture shock and homesickness, I am so grateful that Jesus is my Rock. He will be with me wherever I go and will never change. Without Him, I can do nothing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Being Canadian, I can assure you there's a lot to adjust to when it comes to going to the USA! Having been in the country and working with Americans, I'm trying to become a student of American culture. But there's still a lot that takes me by surprise.

But you're right - it's wonderful that we have the same God - He can see through it all, even when we see Him through our own cultural glasses. ;-)

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home